Section 8 - maple pine build

So, did they work, and how were they? Show everyone proof that your ride was a success (or even a complete failure)!

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

skidesmond

Section 8 - maple pine build

Post by skidesmond »

I built these skis over the summer as an experiment using a steam box http://www.skibuilders.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2469.

Finally mounted bindings the other night and skied them friday night. They are carving machines! They're soft as planned but not too soft compared to the ash skis I made before. Holds an edge well. Only had time to take a few runs on them but I think I'll use the douglas fir/maple as a recipe for a softer ski. I have 2 4x4 fence posts that are douglas fir that will now have a new life.

Hopefully I'll get a chance to put them through their paces on a full day of skiing soon.
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

We got 6in of fresh snow today. Took the skis out tonight. They really skied well. The snow was un-groomed and broken up by the time I got to the hill but they turn great. The ski is on the light/soft side so going through the more heavy snow was a bit unstable, had to lean a bit more on the front to keep in it line. I'd compare it more to a typical commercial ski w/ excellent edge hold. It's a perfect groomer ski blue square ski.

It's a keeper!