Core Shot Carnage

So, did they work, and how were they? Show everyone proof that your ride was a success (or even a complete failure)!

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

powderho

Core Shot Carnage

Post by powderho »

I can't believe the abuse these skis took. The main core shot along the edge is probably 6-10 core shots combined into one awesome core shot. That green base material has been pretty tough for me too. Just not on those skis. The ash sidewall is a bit mangled, but if that was an ABS sidewall, the skis would be finished. The cores on these skis were actually put together from a bunch of random wood I had. You can kind of tell the grain in the ash isn't real tight in the first place. It looked pretty crappy from the get go. But the reality is, they're still good to go. A lot of other sidewall designs/materials wouldn't be.

This core shot turned out to be a pretty hilarious double-tommi. The impact ripped the ski right off my foot and I was going down. The bamboo core took a hit.

skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

I've never seen a ski get wrecked like that! Were you skiing behind a car on a dry road? :D Did all that damage happen in 1 day, 1 season or many seasons?
Jekul

Post by Jekul »

Those skis look trashed! Please tell me that wasn't a single day of skiing...unless you were skiing in the carribean??
powderho

Post by powderho »

I just got reminded of something from these pics.....only the green ski on the right got VDS over the edges. The ski with the huge core shot doesn't have any and the edge is still totally intact. I'm still a believer in VDS for some reason though.

The skis were built last season for St. Patrick's Day. They have probably around 50 days on them. My buddy Rick skied them most of the time. Some of the damage did occur last day of Snowbird during a bit of pond-skimming. Those skis are like water skis. Rick was going so fast over the pond he'd make 3-4 turns in the dirt after the water. It was a bony spring in LittleCottonwood last year.

Here's a shot of Rick circa 2002:

http://www.zapiks.fr/rick-wroblewski-1.html

He's pretty good.

Oh ya....the shot is form Kris Ostness's The Flying Circus. I think that shot ends the movie.
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

powderho wrote:...

He's pretty good.

Oh ya....the shot is form Kris Ostness's The Flying Circus. I think that shot ends the movie.

Under statement of the year! :D Now I can see how those skis got that way.

So I guess those ski are a bit beyond a base grind and hot wax. :)