Europe trip (Dec/Jan)

So, did they work, and how were they? Show everyone proof that your ride was a success (or even a complete failure)!

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

bigKam
Site Admin

Europe trip (Dec/Jan)

Post by bigKam »

just recently returned from Europe. my friend Greg Louie and i toured around the Alps with friends Michael and Corinne Trommsdorff. Michael's brother, Christian, guided us around the last week of our trip in Chamonix, France. Davide, sorry we couldn't meet up. maybe next time.

i brought just one pair of skis with me, the Karbs. they were new and i made them one week before leaving. the Karbs were made with the heated press. we used a new mold with significantly less camber than before, but the skis still came out with lots of camber, around 20mm. it was ridiculous. i think we should have let them cooled in the mold like Kelvin's most recent two pairs that seem to work well.

anyway, i skied the Karbs in Austria for three days in the backcountry. the snow was so, so good:

but the Karbs were NOT so good. first of all they were too stiff. i used a small piece of carbon fiber that Kelvin bought off Ebay. i should have made the cores thinner. second, the camber made the skis really difficult to maneuver. there was just too much camber and they wouldn't turn. i struggled to make the tele turn. most of the time i was doing a lot of this kind of skiing:

but overall it was a good lesson to learned, for the second time (the Kaffeines also have a lot of camber).

while in Chamonix, i rented the Ross B3s, Atomic R-9, and the Head Monsters. they were great and a lot easier to maneuver compared to the Karbs. i know what needs to be changed for the next pairs i make.

more photos from my Europe trip can be found here
http://www.leang.com/kam/mountains/Alps0506/