Feb 20, 2005 : Plummer's crack, MRNP, WA

So, did they work, and how were they? Show everyone proof that your ride was a success (or even a complete failure)!

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

kelvin
Site Admin

Feb 20, 2005 : Plummer's crack, MRNP, WA

Post by kelvin »

Took the brand new Kung Powders out for a day in the backcountry. The short pitch off the top of Plummer's peak was nice sun softened snow, unfortunately it was only long enough to make 2 turns. We headed for Plummer's crack and found variable breakable crust. It made for difficult skiing and I was able to get a few tele turns in, but most of it was survival skiing with parrallel turns. It was hard to get a good feel for the skis in these conditions, but when I didn't break through the crust, the skis seem stable and fairly damp.

The length and weight of the skis makes skinning and bushwhacking a chore and the width makes icy traverses a bit hairy. I would say these skis are more resort oriented than backcountry.

I was afraid the edges would blow since the edges separated in a few spots from the base during pressing. After several rock hits, including one that caused sparks to fly, the edges are still intact. Unfortunately, the topsheets of both skis delaminated at the tails. The polycarbonate does not seem to bond well with the epoxy. What started as small blisters at the tail was made much worse on the bushwack down. Everytime I stuck the skis in the snow, it would force a little snow into the blister and force more of the topsheet to peel away. By the end of the day, 12" of the left ski and 6" of the right had delaminated. I was able to re-epoxy the topsheet back on and will probably put some small bolts to stop it from delaminating again.