The Shred Sticks

So, did they work, and how were they? Show everyone proof that your ride was a success (or even a complete failure)!

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

NeilG

The Shred Sticks

Post by NeilG »

Sorry, don't know if the term Shred Sticks is already taken (I'm sure it has been), but it's fitting for the freight trains I built! It's taken long enough since I'm going to school in CO-Springs but live in Boulder and had to scrounge around for tools and what not.

Huge thanks to MontuckyMadman for the very professional cordura bags!
The cloth press held up great at 45psi for two days since I was pressing with no heat and wanted to be absolutely sure the epoxy had cured.

Dimensions are 150-130-140. I originally was shooting for 145-125-135 but the edges added some width, oh well, just means more flotation in pow.
Maple core with some ash thrown in there since it was cheaper, maple sidewalls.

They have a decent bit of tip/tail rocker (early rise? don't know, don't care) which made the pow and crud today at Loveland (CO) super smooth.

The skis hold a surprisingly decent edge on groomers and in powder they're unlike anything I've ever tried! They just like to crush anything that comes at them (except for moguls, but I don't ski those too much anyways).

Here's a link to some pictures of the skis, sorry no actual action shots yet.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=1 ... d4fc44e5c0

I'm probably too computer illiterate to figure out how to post actual pictures.

Neil
skidesmond

Re: The Shred Sticks

Post by skidesmond »

NeilG wrote: Dimensions are 150-130-140. I originally was shooting for 145-125-135 but the edges added some width, oh well, just means more flotation in pow.
I did the same thing on my first pair of skis. When I made my template I forgot to subtract out the width of the edges. They still skied great.

That's a big honkin', would love to see them in action. Posting pics is not that hard. You could put them on facebook. I use www.photobucket.com.
NeilG

Post by NeilG »

Test

NeilG

Post by NeilG »

Ok, now that that's out of the way:

Camber/rocker profile:

Cordura bag example:

Bit wide for the current brakes:

The skis waiting for some deeeeep snow:

For some more bad pictures, here's a link to my album (thanks for the idea skidesmond): http://s958.photobucket.com/albums/ae65 ... %20Sticks/

Sorry no build pics, I needed to make sure they'd come out alright :)
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

Very nice work.
Those look awesome for a first set.
I hope the bags hold up for many more pairs.
shopvac

Post by shopvac »

The tip and tail profiles look perfect. If you can get into the mtns tomorrow you will be able to find out just how fun they are. Nice work on the first pair.
NeilG

Post by NeilG »

MM: Thanks, I hope they hold up too!

Shopvac: Also thanks. I actually got to ski them at Loveland last Sunday in a few inches of new snow. The width + rocker/early rise was somewhat of a revelation! Super stable but seemed to turn on a dime in softer snow. They are decent on hardpack but I won't be going back to any mogul runs on them.