Section8 - Quilted Maple

So, did they work, and how were they? Show everyone proof that your ride was a success (or even a complete failure)!

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

skidesmond

Section8 - Quilted Maple

Post by skidesmond »

Got a chance to get out one more time this year. My daughter and I went to Okemo Vt. and had a great day! Would have been nice to have the entire family up but my other daughter was in the local St Patty's parade (Holyoke Mass.) and my wife chose to stay home. She's not hard core like us ;) . Temps in the low 50's, frozen granular in the early morning and softened up nice later in the day. Not much of a crowd so we got lots of runs! I think all of the mountain was open, we skied everything we could. Better yet, we saw some friends from town while getting tickets. They has a coupon for a free ticket and passed it on to us. Very nice!

It's not the first time I've skied on these skis but I got a chance to put them through the paces (as well as myself... exhausted!) and really get a thorough testing.

As before they held great on the hard pack stuff. As the snow softened they plowed through wet snow easily. I was very satisfied with how they performed. They were fast and stable on all terrain.

Now my daughter wants a pair! She skis very well and I think would like them also. B-day present in her future? :D

Here's some pics from the day:
At the house loading the car:

Drove 1hr 45min to Okemo. My daughter and I before we hit the slopes, with the new skis.

At the top for our first run:

Taking a run down on the south side in the morning:

Kicked off the skis for a break at the top:

End of the day at the base:

A great winter!
OAC

Post by OAC »

Way to go Desmond! Snow chasing!
So nice! Really nice looking skis! I have to work on my design(top) until next pair.And I'd like to see yours aswell!...;-)
I hope you felt well after your runs! Nice turn there. It easy to see when someone is enjoying his/her achievments!
I need to look at the map where you were. In the season 83 - 84, I was in the states skiing. Squaw Valley CA.(in the reminder of wet, heavy snow..:-)) But that's another story.
Let's keep in touch over the summer for design ideas!

Janne
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

Thank you! We had a great day and skiied our butts off. I spent all winter skiing at our small local mountain and this was the first time I got to really cut loose. I'm located on the east coast, this is where we skiied,
http://www.okemo.com/okemowinter/#

I'll be staying in touch for sure. I have some other projects going on and once those are done I'll be back improving on the ski press, designing and building skis. My daughters b-day is in april so I may try to make a pair for her b-day.
knightsofnii

Post by knightsofnii »

des when is Okemo closing? I LOVE that place, and I have a bone to pick with their park, since last time i was there I got a body-jar and concussion. Anyway it'd be neat to hook up for a couple runs and some beers and to check out those skis, vice versa.

Any other east coasters.... f__k it, i'm gonna declare an east coast builders day in another forum :).
Doug
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

knightsofnii wrote:des when is Okemo closing? I LOVE that place, and I have a bone to pick with their park, since last time i was there I got a body-jar and concussion. Anyway it'd be neat to hook up for a couple runs and some beers and to check out those skis, vice versa.

Any other east coasters.... f__k it, i'm gonna declare an east coast builders day in another forum :).
I talked to a ski patrol riding up the lift and she thought it is was going to be april 11. But I would check their website just in case. They have a lot of snow still. But it will start disappearing fast. They have a HUGE 1/2 pipe. That is our favorite ski area in VT. It has everything going for it.

I always hold out that I can get 1 more day of skiing in :D I'd love to hook up with any other ski builders for a day trip (other chores permitting :( ) and check out the other skis/boards being built, compares notes, cold beer, etc. If not this season then next. By then I'll have some new boards to demo.