Testing my new Hemp skis

So, did they work, and how were they? Show everyone proof that your ride was a success (or even a complete failure)!

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Idris

Testing my new Hemp skis

Post by Idris »

I pressed my first hemp skis almost a month ago, but I've been too ill to get out and test them :(. Nearing the end of the month and wanting to keep my ski streak alive I dragged myself out of bed and went up the hill.

Someone had beaten me to the fresh snow, there were some tracks leading down the north face and then a bootpack back up. All looks very nice and incredibly scary, the valley floor is nearly 3000m below and the slope does roll over to vertical.

Looking back up at my turns and those left by others. Very nice if scary turns, 40-50 degree slope ankle deep pow on a hard to icy base.

Not having the energy for a steep climb or the nerve. Not having skied for 6 weeks and completely untried skis and technology I opted for the yucky looking mess that is the south side slope heading towards the col du Midi

The gentler angle slope was nice and firm and very smooth. I got a chance to try carving and a reasonable speed

They leave nice tramlines in the surface, so I guess they carve ok ;)

I might look like a Dork but I've just skied a rather nice 400m vertical and about a mile and a half

The skin back up to the steeper section was nice and easy. But after that the altitude reminded me I haven't been out much lately

Having a rest with a view

Being a tourist ;)
chuck

Post by chuck »

Wow, scary roll over for sure. Talk about no fall zone.

Would love to hear more about the hemp skis. Hemp layers instead of fiberglass? Hemp core...? I know there's lots of talk about natural alternatives.

Thanks for another cool TR.
Dr. Delam

Post by Dr. Delam »

Yeah, where is the hemp in the layup?

Great pics. I still get chills anytime I see Cham pics. Need to get back soon.
Idris

Post by Idris »

Hemp is instead of fibreglass in the layup. Used two layers top and bottom. one at 0/90 and one at +45/-45

Core is recycled lumber

R-G type L resin, because the bio resin I have won't work with non translucent materials