Nov 8, 2005 Mt. Baker, WA Opening Day!

So, did they work, and how were they? Show everyone proof that your ride was a success (or even a complete failure)!

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

kelvin
Site Admin

Nov 8, 2005 Mt. Baker, WA Opening Day!

Post by kelvin »

With over 80" of snow for opening day, I was suddenly feeling 'sick' and had to take a day off work. Apparently, a lot of 'sick' people had the same idea and the crowds were huge. The ticket line was wrapped around the parking lot. However, after the first run, it was totally worth the wait. Can you say, bottomless? I brought the Upper Krust and they definitely were the right tool for the job. They were easy to turn and floated through every thing, even stuff that was bogging down snowboarders.

By around 12:30 or 1, it was getting pretty compacted, and temps were warming up. The snow got harder and denser, and the UKs felt squirrely and was more work to control. Visibility was very poor and you had to ski by braille. After lunch, I swapped to the Stiff upper lips and gave them a much more thorough workout than at Stevens pass a few days earlier. What a difference sidecut makes; much more predictable on the compacted snow. They bust through the cut up snow and had the flotation in the small pockets of untracked snow that we could find. Overall, they were awesome and I think it is our best pair to date. The only thing I would change is maybe have a little more sidecut so they are quicker edge to edge.

not too shabby for early Nov.
train581

Party on

Post by train581 »

With over 80" of snow for opening day, I was suddenly feeling 'sick' and had to take a day off work. Apparently, a lot of 'sick' people had the same idea and the crowds were huge. The ticket line was wrapped around the parking lot. However, after the first run, it was totally worth the wait. Can you say, bottomless? I brought the Upper Krust and they definitely were the right tool for the job. They were easy to turn and floated through every thing, even stuff that was bogging down snowboarders.
You know what they say, let the good time roll.