Nov 5, 2005 Steven's Pass, WA

So, did they work, and how were they? Show everyone proof that your ride was a success (or even a complete failure)!

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

kelvin
Site Admin

Nov 5, 2005 Steven's Pass, WA

Post by kelvin »

A group of us took advantage of the huge dump of snow that Washington has gotten and check out steven's pass before they opened. It was also a good opportunity to test the stiff upper lips and the daddies little girls. There was about 4' of very soft snow and you would immediately sink to your waist if you took off your skis. Skinning in this deep snow made progress very slow and eventually got too steep and deep to make any upward progress. We were able to get 3 good runs in though.

Justin was skiing the SUL, for most of the day, but we were able to swap for the second run. The DLGs seem to want to submarine in the deep soft snow and made if very difficult to ski. I think this is due to the huge camber, slightly lower tips, and I also mounted the binding on running length center, which put the binding about 2 cm forward of chord center. I basically had to lean way back and parrallel turn to keep from face planting. Justin had the same experience with the submarining.

The SULs were completely different and did not dive. These skis have normal camber, and the binding were mounted on chord center. They are a very fun ski.

Pic of Justin working the Stiff upper lips. Sorry for blurry picture, lighting was bad.