11.09.08 Round Top, Carson Pass

So, did they work, and how were they? Show everyone proof that your ride was a success (or even a complete failure)!

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

bigKam
Site Admin

11.09.08 Round Top, Carson Pass

Post by bigKam »

Allyson, Brian (Three31), and I drove from Reno to Carson Pass this morning.  Upon arrival, we found about 3-4 inches of new snow on top of last week's deposit.  At the parking lot, I ran into John, a friend I met in Argentina back in August.  Small world.  John was with his brother, Pat.  So the five of us decided to ski together.  From the pass, we skied south, passing the west side of Elphant's Back as we made our way to Winnemucca Lake, below Round Top.  Coverage was decent, some shrubs were visible in the snow, a few rocks here and there, and evidence of wind-affected snow.  The initial part of the route from the pass to the lake was first flat, followed by a couple hundred feet  or so of elevation loss.  By the time we made it to the lake, visibility was Northwest-ish (poor and foggy).  We climbed to the northwest spur of Round Top, then up to 9700 ft., stopped for lunch, skied down to the lake, then climbed back to 9700 ft. for another run.  Visibility was worse than the first run, but the snow was soft and boot-high in places.  Some of us retraced our steps back to the car, and did not regret it! ;) Great day.

rockaukum

Post by rockaukum »

I almost went up there yesterday! Shoulda woulda coulda....
Currently knee deep in building a "playhouse" for my daughter so skiing and all else is on a holding pattern... Bummer, would have been good to ski with you guys.
ra
bigKam
Site Admin

Post by bigKam »

ra: i'll PM you next time. maybe this weekend if the weather and snow conditions look promising.
allyson

Post by allyson »

it was an awesome day, and great to get out. snow was a lot better than i thought it would be this early in the season, though we did have to watch out for a few landmines/booby traps. good thing all my skis are rock skis! :D
rockaukum

Post by rockaukum »

Would love it. Sunday is the only day during the weekend that is open. I have some skis with me at work so I hope to get wax on them...
Is there supposed to be weather coming in this weekend? I thought it was to be dry for a week or so?
ra
Idris

Post by Idris »

Nice one Kam