The Muirky snowfield 10/23, 11/24

So, did they work, and how were they? Show everyone proof that your ride was a success (or even a complete failure)!

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Nick's Sticks

The Muirky snowfield 10/23, 11/24

Post by Nick's Sticks »

I headed to rainier to get some October turns in and keep the streak going. My partner bailed on my at nine last night so I had to make the lonely drive to Longmire (LDL) by myself. Even partnerless the drive up was stunning. The slide alder and maple's colors are unbelievably vivid right now. I arrived at Paradise at about 10. Visibility was so bad I drove past the parking lot without even seeing the ranger station. After several laps around the lot I found the trail head. There were maybe three other cars in the parking lot. I don't think I have ever seen fewer than fifty up there. I took my time gathering everything together hoping that the cloud would lift. I was more concerned with finding the bears that I had been warned about than I was about getting lost.

I started climbing towards Panorama Point. The visibility did not improve. In fact it seemed to get worse the higher I climbed. The continuous snow started somewhere above beyond Pebble Creek. The forecast said the clouds were supposed to lift after morning clouds so at about 7200ft I hunkered down for a half hour and waited... and waited... Nothing.

I didn't want to go out on the snowfield proper if the with visibility so poor, especially since I was alone. The last thing I wanted to do was fall in a crevasse or wander off onto one of the adjoining glaciers. But I had made it this far and I was at least going to get some turns in so I slapped on skins and headed higher. Just when I was about to give up and head back the sun started to break through. The snow above 8000 was much better than lower down. There were several inches of old new snow which made skinning easy. The only downside was that the it of one of my skis had partially delaminated and was acting like a plow. I climbed to moon rocks (about 9000ft) where I stopped for lunch. It was getting late so I decided to turn back here.

The snow was good and the skis were fast. I was skiing an old pair of sks. Not my best pair but really quick, especially for a ski as wide as they are. They have square tails which really help powering out of turns. Even with the snow as heavy as it was I could still pop the turns. I am going to lay up their replacements this weekend.

I stopped just above the clouds for a few photos.

Now I remember why I hiked all the way up here.

...and then I headed back into the clouds for the slog back down.

Finally, near LaGrande, the clouds lifted

And now a contest.
"There is something about skiing above an inversion. It's nice to know its warm and sunny up here, and cold and dumping down there."
The first person who can correctly identify this quote will get a free can of rainier. If you can tell me where it was said I'll even let you have the beer.
Last edited by Nick's Sticks on Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Powder days? Everyone loves powder days. You can ski powder days the rest of your life. I prefer ice, its faster." -Glen Plake
RoboGeek

Post by RoboGeek »

man thats some nice shots.

About a month more here before they can even make snow...
I used to be a lifeguard, but some blue kid got me fired.
Nick's Sticks

Post by Nick's Sticks »

Finally, the first turns of winter. Fall was starting to get to me.

I made another trip up to paradise last Monday test out my newest skis and to finish my first twelve month streak. I found plenty of new snow... and boilerplate, and rocks, and grass. The skin up was great until about 9,500. The near knock down wind made the last five hundred nearly intolerable. I stayed at muir just long enough to pull off my skins and before heading back down. The first few turns were great, then I hit the alternating ice and powder drifts. The new skis managed well through all this so I guess that means they are up to par. Lower down I was able to follow the drifts of snow to link turns all the way down to Pan point.

I really like the shape of this ski. I think it will be a staple for my quiver. The flex was good. The VDS did its thing but didn't make the ski too damp. The only changes I might make are narrowing the tail a little and making the tip rise higher. Even though the tips are pretty wide (135mm) a bit more height would help for blowing through the drifts. The only real complaint i had was that the tips were really grabby, but I think this is because I didn't do a good job of detuning before I went out. All in all I am very happy with the ski.
"Powder days? Everyone loves powder days. You can ski powder days the rest of your life. I prefer ice, its faster." -Glen Plake