TR 11 Oct Tahoe turns

So, did they work, and how were they? Show everyone proof that your ride was a success (or even a complete failure)!

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Idris

TR 11 Oct Tahoe turns

Post by Idris »

Second snowfall above reno this autumn (fall), The first one of any substance. So time to go ski.

Last week I hiked Slide mountain (Mount Rose ski area), it really didn't look like winter was on the way

This morning however my windscreen (windshield) was snowcovered and frozen, the chain/snowtire signs were flashing driving up Mt rose highway, winter had arrived.

From Mount Rose summit I hiked a short way up the trail towards Tamarack peak. Looking out south west towards Washoe lake

There wasn't a lot of snow but I guessed there would be enough to slide on

If I kept out of the bushier plants and kept to where the grass was sticking through the turns were quite good. Away from the grass there was less snow. If I edged hard I got resistance from whatever was under the snow.

I tried hiking further up the ridge, but it's more wooded and the skiing was bad to awful, less snow depth and more rocks and tree routes.

After walking back down to where I'd made my first turns I gave it another go and this time kept going all the way down to the highway. Keeping to mellower angle and looking ahead for smoother terrain I avoided most of the rock and skied out to the road.

October turns done. And not bad for a short storm.
sammer

Post by sammer »

Turns all year!!
I was thinking about this yesterday looking at the piles in the arena parking lot from the Zamboni.

yours look way better :)

sam
You don't even have a legit signature, nothing to reveal who you are and what you do...

Best of luck to you. (uneva)
rockaukum

Post by rockaukum »

Never would have even thought of going out after that recent storm. Just started thinking of the soon to be ski season....
Now I will approach the next storm with a different mind set! What is the elevation At rose (or where you were at)? Nice inspiration.
rockaukum
bigKam
Site Admin

Post by bigKam »

aahahhhhh! I missed it and should have called you! Busy working on the house the past few weeks, but just about done. When the next storm hits let's go!
Idris

Post by Idris »

rockaukum wrote: What is the elevation At rose (or where you were at)?
Road goes to 8900 ft, called Mount Rose Summit