Midi - Hellbroner traverse 24/08/08

So, did they work, and how were they? Show everyone proof that your ride was a success (or even a complete failure)!

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Idris

Midi - Hellbroner traverse 24/08/08

Post by Idris »

In an effort to keep my turns all year intact and retrieve my ski gear I headed for Chamonix last weekend. Everyone else was in Climbing mode. So I chose a well traveled route to solo. No heroics here. I cramponed my way down the Arette on the Aiguile du Midi (yes this is straight out the door of the tram) rather than my more usual ski out the gate.

My first few turns, with Chamonix only 9000 feet below

Before turning south and heading towards Italy. On the south face I was glad of plenty of edge control, skiing 45 degree slope above a gaping bergshrund (uppermost crevasse on a glacier).

Very nearby, way too close for comfort was the aftermath of a terrible avalanche earlier that morning on the slope of Mont Blanc du Tacul. All said and done 35+ injured and 8+ dead. When i passed by they were in body recovery mode. They quickly gave up due to the danger of more avalanches. The red line is the crown wall. The slope is some 800m (2600ft) vertical.

Nice mellow turns following what is the winter Vallee Blanche. There were a few crevasse crossings to be careful on but I figured that at standstill I have less than one fifth the ground pressure of someone on foot and far less than that whilst moving, even slowly.

Skins on where the glacier turns and off up towards some of the best coffee in the alps

Wandering my way up through the crevasses and seracs I passed many a bemused mountaineer. Yes it was August, but skis sink less than boots and crampons. And as the morning more on this became more apparent.

On the upper part of the Glacier du Geant.

Punta Hellbronner. With the gondola (aerial tram) from the Aiguille du Midi. At the base of the rocks there were loads of tourists playing around on the snow. I think they were more surprised at me having skis than the fact they were home made.

My planks performed without fault. I'm surprised they are still holding up so well. The West system epoxy I used hadn't been stirred after sitting for months and took 3 days to harden. When I first used them, stress cracks appeared in the topsheet. So I gave them a good extra layer of epoxy that has now started to yellow. MaRuMo's skis of the same design but now having remembered to stir and warm the epoxy have showed no stress cracks in many more days use.
Grizzly Adams

Post by Grizzly Adams »

YAR!

Mouth watering TR
Its a good thing cold smoke doesn't give you cancer.
bigKam
Site Admin

Post by bigKam »

Nice one, Idris! I cramponed down that same route in the first photo, but the snow was much harder when I did it a few years ago. However, I will never forget skiing the 9000 vertical down to the valley, especially picking our way through sections of a few icefalls. Fun, fun, fun! Thanks for sharing your photos and kudos to you for keeping your streak alive! This past weekend I was up on a volcano in So. Oregon, but access to a small -- and I mean small! --- patch of ice was not easy. Looks like I will have to venture further north before the end of the month to keep my streak intact.
Idris

Post by Idris »

bigKam wrote: This past weekend I was up on a volcano in So. Oregon, but access to a small -- and I mean small! --- patch of ice was not easy. Looks like I will have to venture further north before the end of the month to keep my streak intact.
Let me know what your up to I would be great to meet up and ski together. I am west coastish (Reno) based in a weeks time for the next 3 months.
bigKam
Site Admin

Post by bigKam »

Idris: excellent. I'm permanently in Reno now. contact me via leangkk at geeeee mail dot com and we'll make some plans.