Lost and found.

So, did they work, and how were they? Show everyone proof that your ride was a success (or even a complete failure)!

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Three31

Lost and found.

Post by Three31 »

This was more of a long term test that was not performed intentionally, but well, it just seemed to hapen.

I was skiing my first built pair back in the begining of the season, december or january I believe. They only had about 10 days on them, and they were skiing well. The tips and tails were delam'ing because I forgot to use vds strips, but there were no delam's any where else.

It was a snowy day at Squaw, and I was skiing with a few friends skiiers right of the red dog lift near the top. The snow was choppy, but the skis were very stable. Out of nowhere, one of my skis pre-ejected!!

After a quick tumble, and a slide that ended at the base of a tree, I heard a yell from the chairlift "IT WENT WAY DOWN DUDE!"

Crap!

After traversing back and forth, searching the trees below, talking to people on the chairlift, and the ski patrollers who were skiing the area, I decided to ski bakc down and get another pair from the car and search on the next run.

OH NO, I Locked m keys in the car!!!!

As I went to security, my 6 friends did a search and came up with nothing.

After about an hour and a broken window (be very careful when trying to slide a metal rod between your door seal and winow on your subaru, especialy if the rod has any sarp corners . . . . ) I wasback on the hill.

Time Passed and the buried ski was never found....

until....

This morning, I hiked up to look around and se if I could find it. After a 40 minute hike to get to the general area I started to look around and make my way down to where I thought it might be. After another 10 minutes of walking (more like sliding around) on lose dirt and climbing through some thick bush I FOUND IT! It was in the same trees I thought it might be in about a hundred yards from where it came off.

The edges are coated with a thick layer of rust, but to my surprise, after being left out for 6 months, getting snowed on, going through a spring melt, and sitting out in the sun, there is no additional delam (yet).

I will post some before and after pictures when I get to taking them.
Brian
Yuki_otoko

Post by Yuki_otoko »

I often wonder about all the things that reappear when the snow melts.
ts a shame about all the things that went wrong back at the start of the year.
One thing about treated glass. It is very week on the edges and shatters easy. I once had a huge pane of glass to be thrown out. I tried hitting it in the middle with a hammer, but nothing happened. So I lightly tapped the edge and it felt to the ground in a thousand pieces.
Ive had to break it to my car many times. Because I have a window frame I just pull it back. But Subarus have more tension squeezing the glass back into the door rubber.

How well where the tips prepared before lay-up?
Three31

Post by Three31 »

yeah, that was a day to remember w/ the window breaking in the middle of a snow storm.

I didnt prepare the edges much at all, I think I was so excited to layup the first ski that I didnt even clean the edges, so there was definetly some skin oil on them, running the full length.

The un-treated bamboo sidewalls held up too.

As for things showing up when the snow melts, I definetly found some stuff up there that i didnt expect to come across.
Brian
Three31

Post by Three31 »

Here are some pictures of the heavily weathered ski next to its match.

Brian
plywood

Post by plywood »

a liitle grinding here and there and they look like new ;) amazing how they withstood all the water and melting. some of the edge material i still got at home looks worse than the edges on your skis, even if i tried to store the stuff as good as possible...
plywood freeride industries - go ply, ride wood!