June 14-15, Sahale, N. Cascades

So, did they work, and how were they? Show everyone proof that your ride was a success (or even a complete failure)!

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

bigKam
Site Admin

June 14-15, Sahale, N. Cascades

Post by bigKam »

Kelvin, Cass, Ari, Andrew, Drew and I skied the Sahale Glacier and Sahale Arm over the weekend under blue skies. Kelvin, Ari, and I sported homebuilt skis -- Kelvin was on his trusty Little Wings; Ari donned the Raids; and I was strapped to my new Recycled Project Pallet skis. Cass decided to leave his KAB's behind for his lighter K2 rando skis. Drew was skiing a pair of manufactured skis and Andrew was on a snowboard.

Before the weekend started, I flew to Seattle for a work-related conference. My colleague/friend Andrew flew in from Australia to attend the same conference. We made plans to take a few personal days after the conference to stretch our lungs and to discuss a few projects that we were collaborating on. Also, Andrew wanted to experience the fresh Cascade air and the feeling of porting around gear for turns. My Seattle friends and I did not disappoint him.

Ari, Kelvin, Andrew and I left Seattle just before 7am on Sat. morning, then we met up with Cass and Drew north of 405. By 11:30 am, we started hiking on Cascade River Road. A small slide blocked the road 4 miles before the Cascade Pass trailhead, so we carried skis and overnight gear for 4 miles up the road, then donned skis at the trailhead. From there we more or less climbed directly up to Cascade Pass, booting a small steepish section before reaching the pass. We camped above the pass at approximately 6:30 pm.

Drew, Ari, Andrew, and Kelvin below Cascade Pass.(Photo: K. K. Leang)

Ari, Andrew, and Kelvin above Cascade Pass.(Photo: K. K. Leang)

After a restful night, we made our way up Sahale Arm, then onto the Sahale Glacier. At 1 pm we skied perfect corn on the Sahale Glacier, then wrestled a little over the softened snow on the Arm and below. My skis carved beautifully and Kelvin and Ari were skiing well on their homebuilts as well. The views from the Arm were incredible. This was my third time on Sahale and with each visit, the experience gets better.

Before descending the Arm, I looked across the valley at a glacier below Cache Col, the start of the famous Ptarmigan Traverse. From where I was standing I spotted a lonely skier slowly working his/her way up toward the col. It was difficult to see from so far away, but I knew it was a person. I must have stared for five minutes thinking how neat it was to see a solo skier in such solitude. I was envious, to say the least. Come to find out the solo skier was my good friend Matt P. who was also out to stretch his lungs. We exchanged a few words the next day after learning about each other's trip. He said he was out for the day and logged in 10k vert. ft. What a small world.

Drew (lower right-hand corner) above the pass (Photo: K. K. Leang)

Kelvin and Cass on the Arm.(Photo: K. K. Leang)

Ari soaks in the view.(Photo: K. K. Leang)

The Triplets and beyond.(Photo: K. K. Leang)

Kelvin with Eldorado in the background.(Photo: K. K. Leang)

Kam on the Arm. Sahale Peak in the distance.(Photo: K. Wu)

Andrew pauses as Kelvin climbs.(Photo: K. K. Leang)

L-R: Andrew, Kelvin and Kam on the Sahale Glacier.(Photo: C. Cass)

Kelvin on the Sahale Glacier.(Photo: K. K. Leang)

Kam skiing the Sahale Glacier.(Photo: C. Cass)

Kam enjoys the view of Eldorado.(Photo: C. Cass)

Kam base grinds skis on the P-tex traverse.(Photo: C. Cass)
pentagram

Post by pentagram »

cool photos, thanks for the inspiration
Idris

Post by Idris »

nice, Very Nice
RoboGeek

Post by RoboGeek »

love those views!
I used to be a lifeguard, but some blue kid got me fired.
knightsofnii

Post by knightsofnii »

you guys have quite the life...
Doug
hugocacola

Post by hugocacola »

you lucky bastards, ehehehehe nice trips cross country i love it
Nick's Sticks

Post by Nick's Sticks »

Nice trip. How wide is that lense. That second shot is amazing.
bigKam
Site Admin

Post by bigKam »

Nick's Sticks wrote:Nice trip. How wide is that lense. That second shot is amazing.
I used my 10.5 mm lens, but with the 1.5 magnification factor from my digital SLR, it comes out at 15.25 mm, fisheye. I love the lens and use it from time-to-time, especially when I get high enough in the mountains so that it produces that 'spherical earth' look. We all know that the world is flat, right! :)