test weekend in norway

So, did they work, and how were they? Show everyone proof that your ride was a success (or even a complete failure)!

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

MartinJern

test weekend in norway

Post by MartinJern »

Me and my friend went to the nearest open resort (Trysil) for some serious testing of the new boards.

unfortunatly there was not enough snow to go in the backcoutry but the slopes were in exelent contition!

I must say im really surprised how well they worked!
really stable at speed, exelent grip. (im not used to sharp edges...) and a overall good feel!!

All good untill I hit the BIG kicker, not enough speed and I landed on the flat... Huge impact but still on my feet. When my intestines found their right positions again i looked down on the board and tha tip had delamed and the edge was loose....
Small delams had occured before the big hit but this was to much for it..

posible reasons for the delams:
-Oxidated edges, i didnt clean the edges after i heated them up for bending.
-wrong epoxy, I used epoxy from a small swedish company with no history in skibuilding.
-no vds rubber in tip/tail
-tipspacers were base material, anyone had problems with this?

I think the edges is the main reason and I have found a good price on west system epoxy for my next board.

Any thouhgts?
Idris

Post by Idris »

Not cleaning your edges will cause real problems....I've suffered that one.

Was your base material sanded and flamed both sides? If its smoth one side then it isn't

How much for the west systems epoxy?? r-g.de is about 23Eu + delivery per kg
MartinJern

Post by MartinJern »

its treated on both sides

west system is about 15-20eur /kg if i buy 6kg
Greg

Post by Greg »

If that was your first pair of skis, that is pretty good that they survived that well. One thing you might do in the future, if you are going to be jumping where the landings are harder, is to put rivets through the tip. I have found that a few rivets in the tip will really helps reduce delamination when from jumping. Too bad there isn't much snow yet anywhere here. But, I am heading home for the holidays, and hopefully some good Baker Powder.
MartinJern

Post by MartinJern »

Actually its snowboards.. reading through my post you cant really tell, my bad..
I have also thought about rivets in tip/tail
What type of rivets do u think will be approriate, will pop rivets do?

Thanks
doughboyshredder

Post by doughboyshredder »

I believe you should always use rubber vds in the tip and tail to help reduce the risk of delamination.