Flax titanal combo

So, did they work, and how were they? Show everyone proof that your ride was a success (or even a complete failure)!

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

skidesmond

Flax titanal combo

Post by skidesmond »

It’s been awhile since I’ve posted any ski building stuff. But I’ve been busy trying to innovate the last couple years. My latest ski is a GS Cheater style ski using flax instead of FG and titanal. This was going to be my racing ski this season. But by the time I got the ski dialed in, feedback by Exotic Skis, healed from skiing injuries, then COVID-19 causing skis areas, the season was shut down and never raced on them. I did get to ski hard on them and run some gates. Lets hope next year is better.

The details are on Instagram @skidesmond. I felt this ski was worthy of an official 3rd party review by Exotic Skis in Vermont. Here’s the link of the review and all the skis details.

http://www.exoticskis.com/Forum/default ... osts&t=585

Cheers
Jonrezz

Re: Flax titanal combo

Post by Jonrezz »

Very impressive! out of curiosity - you mentioned ash core underfoot and poplar in the front and back of the core? are they not made with the traditional laminated lengthwise strips?

also props on the veneer choice, looks really sharp.
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

Sorry just saw your reply... Haven't been on much.

Correct the wood core was not made in the traditional way of glueing up strips of wood. I wanted the ski to be lighter but maintain a firm grip under foot. This allows the tip and tails to flex and engage the turn a little easier. Seems to work.
Thelongride

Post by Thelongride »

I'm really curious about this. Is the fiber reinforcement entirely flax?

I've been wondering about its damping properties in comparison with glass.
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

Yes entirely flax. Flax is damper than FG.